13th February 2018 Current Affairs in English, Daily GK News
1. PM Modi to inaugurate TERI’s development summit
- The 2018 edition of World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS 2018) will be inaugurated by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi to be held under the flagship forum of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
- The resilient planet aims to create action frameworks for the challenges faced by the developing economies.
- The summit will also feature a “Greenovation Exhibition” to showcase the latest technological advancements made for the sustainable development goals.
2. EPFO may retain 8.65% interest rate for FY’18
- The retirement fund body is expected to keep the interest rate at 8.65% for the FY 18.
- The Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has already sold Exchange Traded Funds (ETF) to bridge up the gap to maintain 8.65%.
- Also, there might be the option of having ETF credits in EPF accounts.
3. Gangolli wins National A chess championship
- Kishan Gangolli of Karnataka won the 13th edition of the National A Chess Championship.
- The championship was organised by All India Chess Federation for the Blind (AICFB).
- All India Chess Federation for the Blind (AICFB) came to function in 1997.
4. A new record set by skydiving in Maharashtrian sari
- The Pune adventurist Shital Rane-Mahajan set a new record by becoming the first Indian to skydive sporting a sari.
- Shital had made the world’s First Accelerated Free Fall Parachute Jump on South Pole in Antarctica after which she became the first and the youngest woman in the world to achieve the feat at both the Poles at the age of 23.
- She is a Padma Shri laureate has set around 18 national skydiving records with 6 international records jumping 704 times around the world.
5. Shabbir and Anukriti clinch titles in tenpin championship
- Shabbir Dhankot of Tamil Nadu had managed to win the Uniply National tenpin bowling championships at Amoeba.
- Shabbir received his third national award by defeating Ashok Kumar of Karnataka.
- In the same event on the other hand Anukriti Bishnoi of Haryana also managed to chase the women’s title clinching her maiden National title.