5th February 2018 Current Affairs in English, Today GK Questions
1. L-G gives nod to notify Anand Marriage Act for Sikhs
- The Sikh marriages in Delhi will be registered under the Anand Marriage Act rather than the Hindu Marriage Act.
- The approval of was given by the Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal.
- Anand Marriage Act is being implemented in Delhi almost 110 years after it was first demanded by the Sikh community.
2. Meena Kandasamy makes it to 2018 Dylan Thomas Prize
- The Indian Essayist and Novelist Meena Kandasamy’s book: When I Hit You: Or, A Portrait of the Writer as a Young Wife has been won the Dylan Thomas Prize.
- The book is a depiction of domestic abuse that leads to a “meditation on writing and a searing examination of a woman’s place in contemporary Indian society” as per summary.
- The Dylan Thomas Prize is a leading prize for young writers presented annually which started in 2006 in the honor of Welsh writer and poet Dylan Thomas.
3. Japan launches micro satellite rocket
- The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) launches the world’s smallest rocket with the ability to put micro satellite into orbit, however the attempt failed.
- The rocket had a height of 10 meters and 53 centimeters in diameter.
- These micro satellites are aimed at reduced costing used for the weather observation, defence or traffic control.
4. PV Sindhu settles for Silver in India Open Super 500
- The defending champion PV Sindhu won Silver in the summit clash of India Open Super 500 where the tough competition ended winning the Silver medal.
- Sindhu lost in the final game of three games against the Beiwen Zhang of USA.
- Sindhu lost the final in three games 18-21, 21-11, 20-22 in one hour and nine minutes.
5. Shi Yuqi defeats Chou Tien Chen to clinch India Open
- Shi Yuqi becomes the first Chinese player to win the India Open Men Singles Title.
- The players defeated Chou Tien Chen in the final in New Delhi.
- This is Shi’s fourth major career title after the France Super Series 2016 and two Grand Prix gold medals.