25th January 2018 Current Affairs in English, Today GK Question
1. 25th January, National Voters Day
- The Election Commission of India is celebrating the 8th National Voters’ Day on 25th January for enhanced participation of citizens in the electoral process.
- The function is being held in New Delhi where the President Ram Nath Kovind gave awards for best electoral practices to District Collectors, SPs and other functionaries involved in election management.
2. India is among 5 worst nations in curbing environmental pollution
- In the green Index released by the Environmental Performance Index (EPI) India has been ranked 4th Country worldwide in curbing the environmental pollution.
- India is at 177th spot down from 141st position two years ago in the list of 180 countries.
- The EPI ranks 180 countries on 24 performance indicators across 10 issue categories covering environmental health and ecosystem vitality.
Hurry Up!! Attempt Today Current Affairs Quiz [button color="" size="" type="3d" target="_blank" link="https://chekrs.com/onlinetest/quiz/current-affairs-25th-january-2018/"]Attempt Here[/button]
3. India, Philippines sign investment facilitation agreement
- Following a bilateral meeting of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Philippines President Rodrigo, India and the Philippines signed an investment facilitation agreement.
- Modi had visited Philippines in the Novermber 2017.
- It was the first prime ministerial visit from India to that Southeast Asian nation in 36 years since the visit of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in 1981.
- The Asean Countries comprises of Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
4. Padma awards to be announced on Republic Day
- The Padma Awards comprising of Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri will be awarded to the nominees on the eve of Republic Day.
- The awards are given for different disciplines such as art, literature and education, sports, medicine, social work, science and engineering, public affairs, civil service, trade and industry.
- The nominations are placed before the Padma Awards Committee, constituted by the prime minister every year, which takes the final decision.
5. WWE’s Kavita Devi honoured ‘First Ladies’ in presidential ceremony
- In the ceremony of WWE, Kavita Devi was one of the country’s “First Ladies” to sign WWE Development contract.
- Devi is not only the first Indian woman to sign with WWE, but she was also the first Indian woman to ever compete in a WWE ring, from summer’s Mae Young Classic.
- Other honors included Bachendri Pal, the first Indian woman to reach the summit of Mount Everest, and Radhika Menon, the first female Merchant Navy Captain