16th January 2018 Current Affairs in English, Today GK Questions
1. Jallikattu event begins, culture to be followed till May
- Jallikattu, the bull taming event was organized in Tamil Nadu on the eve of Pongal where 447 bulls participated at the Suriyur village. while in Madurai 1000 bulls were registered.
- It is customary traditional sport on the second day of the Tamil month ‘Thai’ when ‘Maatu Pongal’ is celebrated.
- In year 2017 the TN assembly had passed the bill that defines jallikattu as an event involving bulls conducted with a view to following tradition and culture from January to May and it includes similar events like ’manjuviratu’, ‘vadamadu’ and ‘erudhuvidum’ festivals.
- Now the whole event is being conducted under the monitoring of Animal Welfare Board.
2. IGIB discovers protein responsible for growth, pigmentation of melanoma
- The Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Delhi has identified a calcium sensor protein (STIM1) for the first time.
- STIM1 has been known to cure the breast cancer and prostate cancer.
3. India UK inks pact on illegal migration
- For the Indians who have been living in Britain illegaly, India and UK has signed pact sharing the criminal records and intelligence.
- The memorandums of understanding (MOUs) were signed by UK’s minister of immigration Caroline Nokes and India’s minister of state for home affairs Kiren Rijiju.
- The agreement will also process on returns way quicker and more efficient process in documenting and returning Indian nationals.
4. Pankaj Advani unstoppable wins National billiards title
- In the event of Senior National Men’s Billiards Championship Pankaj Advani defeated his opponent Dhvaj Haria.
- With winning in the event, Pankaj has waltzed his Ninth senior National billiards title.
5. India U-19 Cricket Team streamroll PNG by 10 wickets
- The Indian cricket team of U-19 in the event of World Cup conquered over Papua New Guinea PNG by 10 wickets.
- Players Prithvi Shaw and Manjot Kalra ensured that the team goes at top and gave best performances.