2nd January 2018 Current Affairs in English, Today GK Questions
1. Vijay Keshav Gokhale to be the next foreign secretary
- Diplomat Vijay Keshav Gokhale is named to succeed as the foreign secretary of India.
- He is considered to have expertise on China. as he had played key role in India-China negotiations last year to resolve the 73-day standoff between Indian Army and Chinese People’s Liberation Army at Doklam Plateau.
- Currently Subrahmanyam Jaishnkar is the foreign secretary of India whose tenure will end in this month.
2. Arunachal Pradesh officially announced defecation free
- The Arunachal Pradesh became the second state in the North East to achieve open defecation free officially.
- The first northeast state declared ODF free is Sikkim.
3. NASA to touch the sun in 2018
- NASA’s Parker Solar Probe is scheduled for launch in 2018 which is aimed to explore the outer layer of the Sun’s atmosphere.
- NASA is turning 60 this year and with it the agency looks forward to launch some important missions including to touch the Sun.
- For the searches Venus gravity will be used to bring the orbit of the satellite closer to the sun.
4. Nearly 12 species found 2017 difficult to survive, IUCN
- According to the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) red list, there are various species which marked extinction in the year 2017.
- The species that made no more appearance are Christmas Island Pipistrelle, Whiptail-skink, Chained Gekho and Gunthers Dwarf Burrowing skink.
- The species at the verge of extinction are Western Ringtail Possum, Western Ringtail Possum, Plains Wanderer and Green Poison Frog.
- However the vulnerable species were Snow Loepard, North Brown Kiwi & Okarito Kiwi, Aberdare cisticola and Ouvea Parakeet.
5. Vidarbha team wins the Ranji Trophy
- It’s the very first time when the team has won the Ranjo trophy defeating the Delhi.
- Vidarbha bowled out Delhi for 295 in the first innings with the best performance of Rajneesh Gurbani taking 6 wickets.