29th December 2017 Current Affairs in English, GK News Updates
1. Lok Sabha criminalizes triple talaq; 1400 years history changed
- Lok Sabha passes the bill which has approved the suggestion of criminalizing the instant divorce.
- There will be 3years of imprisonment to Muslim husband on practicing any such exercise.
- In august the Supreme Court made the practice unconstitutional while now finally the bill has been passed.
2. India is the top country in remittance in the world
- India’s Remittance (working abroad and money sent to home) is now top surpassing the China.
- According to the World Bank figures on migration and remittances Indi tops the list by $68 billion.
- Other Asian countries being in the list are Philippines, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Vietnam, while Philippines being on the third.
3. India signs the loan for $40mn with the World Bank for UP tourism
- India signed a loan agreement of worth $40mn million with the World Bank for its projects “UP Pro Poor Tourism Development”.
- The program duration is 5 years which is aimed at increasing the benefits given to the local communities in UP.
4. S&T shows the jump in the coming back of scientists
- According to the figures released by the Department of Science and Technology the number of Indian originated scientists working internationally in 2012-2017 has increased up to 70%.
- The reason behind the success rate is the schemes such as INSPIRE (Ramanujan Fellowship Scheme and the Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research) & Ramalingaswami re-entry fellowship which are coordinated by the Department of Biotechnology.
5. Viswanathan Anand on the second spot in World Rapid Chess Championship
- In the 12th round of the World Rapid Chess championship Viswanathan Anand was in joint second position.
- In the women’s event D. Harika managed to be second with 8.5 points.