11th January 2018 Current Affairs in English, Daily GK Questions
1. DR K. Sivan is the new space secretary
- Rocket scientist K. Sivan will be the new Secretary of the Department of Space, and Chairman of the Space Commission and the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) for three years.
- Currently he is the Director of the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre.
- Sivan will be replacing the 9th head of the Mr A.S. Kiran Kumar whose tenure is ending on January 14.
2. Ten leaders to be ‘Guests of Honor’ at R-Day parade
- Leaders of the 10 ASEAN Countries will be the Guest of Honor at the Republic Day.
- The External Ministry Secretary (East), Preeti Saran confirmed that there will be participation of leaders from Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
3. Matunga Railway Station is the India’s First all-women railway station
- The Mumbai’s Matunga Central Railway Station has entered in the Limca Book of Records for being operated by women only.
- There is total 41 women staff at the Railway Station, whose initiative was taken by the CR General Manager D.K. Sharma.
- Earlier, the Railways of Mumbai region set new records in women’s empowerment with Surekha Bhosale-Yadav becoming the first woman train driver on CR in 1988.
4. ISREIO all set for Isro’s PSLV-C40/Cartosat-2 Series mission
- The ISRO had begun the countdown of 28 hours to launch the PSLV-C40/Cartosat 2 Series satellite.
- The flight of PSLV will carry 1 satellites, including its main payload Cartosat-2 Series.
- Cartosat-2 Series is the 7th satellite in the series of earth observation satellites, and one microsatellite and a nanosatellite from India.
5. Supreme Court to probe 186 anti Sikh riots cases by forming special team
- A three member Special Investigation Team (SIT) would be formed by the Supreme Court to probe the 186 cases of, 1984 Sikh riots.
- The bench will be lead by the Justice Dipak Misra and headed by a former High Court judge and a former IPS officer.