3rd January 2018 Current Affairs in English | Today GK Questions
1. Sushma Swaraj to go on a tri-nation visit in January
- The External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will visit Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore from 4th to 8th
- The purpose to visit the country is to launch Regional Pravasi Bharatiya Divas for ASEAN countries.
- The inauguration of Regional Pravasi Bhartiya Divas will be done in Singapore on 7th January covering sectors such as political relations, culture, connectivity, start-ups and science & technology.
- While in Indonesia, Sushma Swaraj and her counterpart Retno Marsudi will inaugurate the second meeting of ASEAN-India Network of Think Tanks.
2. Celebration of Bhima Koregaon battle of Pune, later turns drastic
- It’s a 200years old ritual of Dalit community celebrating their victory over the former king Peshwa Bajirao II along with the East India Company.
- However, usually every year in Pune max. 20000 people organize the celebration but this year the numbers hiked up to 3,00,000.
- The end result was clashes in mob leading to severe disturbances causing death and damage of public property.
3. Rajinder Khanna appointed as the deputy NSA
- Rajinder Khanna who is the former RAW chief has been appointed as the Deputy National Security Adviser.
- The decision was made by the appointment committee of Cabinet is headed by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Though Khanna’s appointment is on contractual basis until any further notice is released but he will be assisting the National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, who is also a former RAW chief.
4. India to bring the Barack Missiles, Defence Ministry clears the proposal
- On 2nd January the Defence Ministry cleared the proposal to procure the Barak missiles from Israel and the guided bombs for Indian Air Force from Russia.
- The procurement is worth Rs 1714 on total.
- 131 Barak missiles (surface to air missiles) and its associated equipment will be brought from Rafael Advanced Defence System Ltd.
- While the bombs fall under the category of Precision Guided Munitions to be brought from the JSC Rosonboron Exports, Russia.
5. Hockey India names 33 women players for national camp
- On 2nd January the Hockey India named its 33 players for the women’s national camp starting in the Bengaluru’s Sports Authority of India.
- The camp will be a 24 day event which will lay the foundation for the participants of Gold Coast Commonwealth Games to be held in April, Women’s Asians Champions Trophy in Korea and the Women’s World Cup in London.