10th January 2018 Current Affairs in English, Today GK News
1. Two Indian-origin MPs join Theresa May’s Cabinet
- Two Indian Origin MPs joined the ranks of Conservative Government.
- Rishi Sunak, the Conservative Member of Parliament for the Northern English constituency of Richmond (Yorkshire) and Suella Fernandes, a Goan-origin MP for the southern constituency of Fareham were made ministers after the ministerial reshuffle conducted by Prime Minister Theresa May.
- Also the Indian-origin MP Alok Sharma was changed from being the Minister for Housing to the Minister for Employment.
2. India positions itself as the China alternative for the ASEAN Summit
- The ASEAN-India summit, to mark 25 years of a partnership with connected countries will be an occasion for India to showcase itself as an attractive alternative to China.
- Indian government is setting up multiple connection points with Asean countries to strengthen the power.
- Also the connection will be the preparation for Asean-India commemorative summit and biggest ever group of chief guests at the Republic Day celebrations.
- The new chair of Asean is Lee Hsien Loong of Singapore.
3. Narinder Batra to become IOA president
- For the president position in Indian Olympic Association, Narinder Batra who accepted the position declaring his agreement through letter.
- Batra was earlier the president of International Hockey Association.
4. Akash Missile satisfies Army with its performance
- Akash is the short-range surface-to-air missile (SR SAM) system developed by DRDO and manufactured by Bharat Dynamics Ltd. (BDL).
- The Akash missile trials have been carried out by the Army Air Defence (AAD) as the celebrated its 25th year of raising.
- Akash has a range of 25 km and can engage multiple targets in all weather conditions.
5. AR Rahman becomes the official brand ambassador of Sikkim
- In the event of opening ceremony of the Sikkim Red Panda Winter Carnival, Sikkim CM Pawan Kumar Chamlin announced AR Rahman as the official brand ambassador.
- Rahman is known as Mozart of Madras.