18th January 2018 Current Affairs in English, Today GK Questions
1. Nirmala Sitharaman becomes first woman defence minister to fly in a Sukhoi
- The present Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman becomes the first eoman defence minister to fly in fighter jet Sukhoi Su-30MKI.
- The first woman to fly in the Sukhoi fighter was former president Pratibha Devisingh Patil in 2009.
- Sukhoi Su-30MKI is a licensed-produced Indian version of the elite Russian fighter jet. The fighter is designed for deep penetration into enemy territory.
2. Cartosat becomes operational, releases images
- The remote sensing satellite Cartosat-2 has become operational and started beaming images from the earth’s lower orbit
- The 710 kg spacecraft (Cartosat-2) was launched on board a polar rocket (PSLC-C40) along with 30 satellites including one nano and micro from India and 28 from other six countries.
- The micro-satellite is the 100th spacecraft the state-run space agency had launched and deployed around the earth orbit.
3. Cyber Crime Coordination Centre and Police Force to be set up under CIS
- The Ministry of Home Affairs will constitute Cyber Crime Coordination Centre and a Cyber Police Force under the Cyber & Information Security (CIS) division.
- This was announced at a meeting chaired by home minister Rajnath Singh.
- The decision has been taken for strictly monitoring the cyber space due to rise in the sharing of pornographic content.
4. India’s hockey team defeats Japan by 6-0 in Four Nations opener
- In the event of Four Nations Hockey Invitational Tournament, in the opening contest India hammered Japan by 6-0.
- The best performances were seen by the debutants Dilpreet Singh and Vivek Prasad scored two goals each.
5. Indian Blind Cricket Team beat Bangladesh
- In the event of Blind Cricket World Cup Indian cricketers defeated Bangladesh by 7 wickets.
- The Man of the Match was Ganeshbhai Muhudkar who scored a century.
- Now the next game will be played against Pakistan.