24th January 2018 Current Affairs in English, Today Question Papers
1. India, Canada and Netherlands to improve the bilateral ties
- In the event of WEF Prime Minister Narendra Modi met the Canadian counterpart Justin Trudeau and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands.
- Trudeau will be visiting India in February from 17-23 which will be his first visit since becoming the PM of Canada.
- The nations will be strengthening the mutual interest including trade and investment, energy, science and innovation, higher education, infrastructure development, skill development and space.
2. Shah Rukh Khan honored with Crystal Award at World Economic Forum
- The bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan has been given the 4th Crystal Award at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
- He has received the award for leadership in championing children’s and women’s rights in India
3. FICCI appoints Dilip Chenoy as its new Director General
- The Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry has announced Dilip Chenoy as its Director General from now on.
- Earlier Chenoy has been the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the National Skill Development Corporation.
4. Shiv Sena announces it will not ally with BJP for 2019 assembly polls
- The Shiv Sena will break the 3 decade old alliance with the BJP party for the Lok Sabha and the Assembly Polls in 2019.
- The Shive Sena was the oldest National Democratic Alliance (NDA) partner where the party has been in coalition with BJP since year 1989.
- Also, in the event Aaditya Thackeray was named as the National Executive of the party.
5. Harmanpreet announced T20 captain
- The Indian Women Cricket will be playing in South Africa for hree-match ODI series followed by five-match T20 series.
- Player Harmanpreet Kaur is named to be the captain for T20 series.
6. Scientists have identified Moss that can remove lead from water identified
- Researchers from RIKEN CSRS Japan lead the research for phytoremediation based removal method for the water contaminated by the lead.
- In the research ‘Funaria Hygrometrica’ is the moss that grows easily in the areas of contaminated water which is found absorbing the lead.
- Phytoremediation is the method in which photosynthesizing organisms are used to clean up soil or water contamination.