29th January 2018 Current Affairs in English, Today GK Questions
- 29th January 2018 Current Affairs in English, Today GK Questions
- 1. India among top three countries where trust in government remains high
- 2. Vijay Gokhale takes charge as foreign secretary of India
- 3. Siddheshwar Swami turns down the honor of Padma Shri
- 4. Rare blue moon eclipse to occur on January 31st
- 5. Roger Federer wins Australian Open winning his 20th Grand Slam
1. India among top three countries where trust in government remains high
- According to the Global Trust Index released annually in Davos, India continues to be among the top three nations in rating trust for government.
- India is also in the trust zone for how public sees business, media and NGOs. However the media was the lowest at 61, dropping five points since 2017.
- The annual Global Trust Index, released by communications marketing firm Edelman
2. Vijay Gokhale takes charge as foreign secretary of India
- Vijay Keshav Gokhale today took over as the foreign secretary of India today, succeeding S Jaishankar.
- Earlier Gokhale had served as the secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs for economic relations.
- The diplomat Vijay Keshav Gokhale played major role in resolving the Doklam issue with China.
3. Siddheshwar Swami turns down the honor of Padma Shri
- Siddheswar swami is the Karnataka based seer (saint) who received the Padma Shri award on the eve of republic day.
- However Swamiji has written a letter expressing his unwillingness for being honored with the award for being a Sanyasin.
- Jnanayogi Shri Siddheshwar Swamiji is renowned for his preaching style that has hard teachings delivered in a pleasant and enjoying manner.
4. Rare blue moon eclipse to occur on January 31st
- The very rare “super blood blue moon” will be seen after 36years when the lunar eclipse will take place on 31st
- The event is becoming a buzz as it combines three unusual lunar events together: an extra big super moon, a blue moon and a total lunar eclipse.
- This full moon is also the third in a series of “supermoons,” which happen when the moon is closest to Earth in its orbit.
5. Roger Federer wins Australian Open winning his 20th Grand Slam
- The tennis player Roger Federer defeated the Marin Cilic in the Australian Open and won the 6th title of Australian Open.
- He became the third man after Roy Emerson and Novak Djokovic to win six Australian Open titles.
- Roger Federer who is 2nd best player of tennis has clinched his 20th Grand Slam title.