14th March 2018 Current Affairs In English, Daily GK Questions
1. Physicist Stephen Hawking passes away at 76
- The very famous scientist and physicist Stephen Hawking passed away at the age of 76years.
- Born in 1942, Hawking was author of many best-selling books like A Brief History of Time, The Universe in a Nutshell and The Dreams That Stuff Is Made Of and his last book release in 2013 titled My Brief History.
- From his books, cinematic depiction has also been taken as movie: The Theory of Everything from Hawking memoir, Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen.
2. Belgavi is the home to India’s tallest flag
- India’s tallest flag has been unfurled in the Belgavi district of Karnataka.
- The national flag is 9,600 sq ft wide and rising with 110-metre-tall flagpole erected on the Fort Lake.
- Belgavi is also known as Balgaum.
- The second tall and wide flag is situated in Attari.
3. PM Modi launched campaign for TB
- To eliminate the TB from five years advance, PM Modi has launched a campaign to address challenge against TB and eradicate the country by 2025.
- The TB Free India Campaign has been launched in the inaugural event of Delhi End TB Summit.
- The event also marked the presence of key personalities Union Minister for Health J.P. Nadda, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Anupriya Patel and Director-General of WHO, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
4. Bidya Devi Bhandari re-elected as Nepal President
- Bidya Devi Bhandari has been reelected as the president of Nepal who will be now continuing her second term for the position.
- Bidya Devi Bhandari is the first women president in the country; who first took over the position in 2015.
- Bhandari was also elected twice in parliamentary elections in 1994 and 1999.
5. RBI bans use of LoUs for trade credit for imports
- The Reserve Bank of India banned the use of Letter of Understanding (LoU) and Letters of Comfort (LoCs) for trade finance with immediate effect.
- However RBI also made the announcement that the Letters of Credit and Bank Guarantees for imports in India may continue to be issued with provisions and will be subject to compliance.
- The decision has been taken after accounting PNB fraud scam.