8th March 2018 Current Affairs In English | Today GK Questions
1. Forbes lists 8 Indian women in billionaires
- India has 121billionaries making it third largest group across the world. However, out of all 8 women have been listed in the category.
- From India, Savitri Jindal is ranked 176th, first richest Indian woman
- Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw (Biocon Chief) ranked 629th, Smita Crishna-Godrej ranked 822nd, Leena Tewari at 1,020th rank, Vinod and Anil Rai Gupta were placed at the 1,103rd place, Anu Aga ranked 1,650th, Sheela Gautam ranked at the 1,999th.
- There are total 256 women billionaires in the Forbes list.
2. 8th March Women’s Day; Nari Shakti Puraskar
- On the Women’s Day Occasion, President Ram Nath Kovind presents the award to deserving women for their services from different fields.
- From across the India, total 39 women have been selected for this year.
- The award ceremony will take place at Rashtrapati Bhawan where awardees will receive certificate and cash prize of 1lakh.
3. Bhandari to get second term as Nepal President
- For the Presidential election Bidhya Devi Bhandari has been re-elected by the ruling party CPN-UML.
- Bidhya Devi Bhandari is currently Nepal’s President.
- Bhandari was elected to the top post on October 29, 2015, a month after the promulgation of the new Constitution.
4. Indian architect BV Doshi wins Pritzker Prize
- Pritzker Architecture Prize which is Nobel for architecture has been received by the 90yr old BV Doshi.
- BV Doshi is the first Indian to receive this highest honor in the profession.
- Doshi has created authentic architecture for public administrations and utilities, educational and cultural institutions, thereby honored by the prize.
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize is awarded annually to honor a living architect or architects whose work is a combination of those qualities of talent, vision and commitment.