5th March 2018 Current Affairs In English | Today GK Questions
1. Hindu woman elected to Pakistan’s senate
- Kirshna Kumari Kolhi from Pakistan has become the first-ever Hindu Dalit woman Senator in the Muslim-majority country.
- She was elected Senator on a minority seat from Sindh province after getting ticket from PPP.
- Kirshna Kumari Kolhi is a member of Bilawal Bhutto Zardari-led Pakistan People s Party (PPP).
2. India to help build nuclear plant in Bangladesh
- India and Bangladesh along with Russia have signed MoU for cooperation in the construction of nuclear power plant in Bangladesh.
- The MoU was signed in Moscow by the Department of Atomic Energy of India, the Ministry of Science and Technology of Bangladesh.
- The nuclear power plant is being built in Rooppur by Russia on a turnkey basis.
- The Indian companies will also be involved in construction and installation of the power plant.
3. Now President and Vice-President’s car to have number plates
- More than only the state emblem of India the vehicles of constitutional authorities and dignitaries, such as the President, the Vice-President, Governors and Lieutenant Governors will soon have their registration numbers.
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has made the announcement that these high security vehicles will be registered soon.
- The action has been taken after the petition filed by the NGO Nyayabhoomi claiming that the practice of displaying the state emblem, instead of the registration numbers, making the cars conspicuous and easy target for the terrorists.
4. NASA launches advanced weather satellite for western US
- NASA has launched another one of the world’s most advanced weather satellites for western US.
- The satellite is named GOES-S which is the second satellite built with budget of $11 billion effort that’s already revolutionizing forecasting with astonishingly fast, crisp images of hurricanes, wildfires, floods, mudslides and other natural calamities.
- It’s the third weather tracker launched by NASA in just over a year.
- Earlier in the GOES series have been the GOES-16 monitoring Atlantic and East Coast and GOES-17 which will be reaching its orbit in a few weeks and will be operational by the year’s end.
5. Shooter Rizvi wins gold, sets world record
- In the event at the ISSF World Cup Indian shooter Shahzar Rizvi created a new world record while gold medal in the men’s 10m air pistol.
- Rizvi in his World Cup debut made world record score of 242.3 points.
- The third and fourth positions were also equipped by Indian shooters Jitu Rai bagging bronze and Om Prakash Mitharval.
- In the event of Women’s 10m air rifle, Mehuli Ghosh took away bronze with a record of 228.4 points.