19th February 2018 Current Affairs in English, Today GK News
1. Canadian PM Justin Trudeau arrives India, visits monuments
- Trudeau is on a week-long official visit to India and is scheduled halt at Amritsar, Ahmedabad, Mumbai and New Delhi.
- Trudeau along with his family visited Taj Mahal and also listed their name in the visitor’s book of Mughal mausoleum.
- Trudeau’s visit to India is to strengthen ties between the two countries for defence and security, counter-terror cooperation, trade and investment, and tackling climate change.
- The discussion is also expected to expand on enhancing cooperation in the civil nuclear sector.
2. India, Iran ink nine pacts
- From the talks between Iranian president Hassan Rouhani and Prime Minister Narendra Modi both the sides inked 9 pacts.
- The signing was done to boost cooperation in key areas of security, trade and energy, simplification on visa process and double taxation avoidance.
- Both the countries also had serious discussions over sensitive issues like terrorism.
3. Sex ratio at birth dips in 17 of 21 large States
- In the report of ‘Healthy States, Progressive India’ released by the Niti Aayog of Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) saw a decline in 17 from 21 large states.
- States which recorded substantial drop of 10 points or more, in Gujarat the SRB fell to 854 females per 1,000 males.
- Gujarat is followed by Haryana, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Maharashtra, Himachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Karnataka.
- The improvement was seen in Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
4. Kosovo celebrates its 10yrs of Independence
- The Kosovo Assembly of Parliament celebrated its 10 years of independence.
- On Feb. 17, 2008, Kosovo’s Parliament unilaterally declared independence from Serbia nine years after NATO conducted a 78-day airstrike campaign against Serbia.
- Kosovo is among the poorest countries of Europe.
- Kosovo is recognized by 117 countries, including the U.S. and most Western counties except Serbia, Russia and China.
5. India beat South Africa by 28 runs in 1st T20I
- India beat South Africa by 28 runs in the first Twenty-20 International (T20I) at the New Wanderers Stadium
- India plundered 203 runs for five wickets from 20 overs where as opener Shikhar Dhawan hit a superb 72 from 39 balls.
- The second Twenty-20 clash will be played in Pretoria on Wednesday (February 21) and the final game on Saturday (February 24) in Cape Town.