25th February 2018 Current Affairs In English | Daily GK Questions
1. Veteran actress Sridevi passes away
- Veteran across Sridevi Kapoor died at the age of 54 due to cardiac arrest.
- Starting her movie career at early age of 12 she won award for best child artist in 1971.
- Including various film awads she was also honored with Padma Shri.
2. Modi launches development schemes for Daman and Diu
- While the inauguration of flight connecting Ahemdabad and Daman and Diu Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched developmental schemes worth Rs 1000crore for Daman and Diu.
- The inauguration was done of an Odisha’s under the Centre’s regional connectivity scheme UDAN.
- He also laid foundation of projects like water treatment plant, a gas pipeline, an electric sub-station in the Union Territory.
3. NCERT to cut the syllabus by half
- The Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar has announced that to provide relief to school students, NCERT syllabus will be cut down by half from the academic session of 2019.
- According to him the syllabus is much more than that of BA and B.Com courses.
- Mr Javedakar will be introducing bill in the Parliament in the next part of Budget session to introduce the examinations and detentions for bringing better outcomes of competition.
- He quoted ““At the stage of development of cognitive skills, students need to be given full freedom”.
3. India to host the first ISA on 11th March
- India will host the first International Solar Alliance (ISA) summit on 11th March.
- Approx 121 projects are expected to put together in the summit to be held on in Delhi.
- The event will be attended by French President Emmanuel Macron and United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres.
4. Airtel, Huawei conduct India’s first 5G trial
- Bharti Airtel and the Chinese Telecom company Huawei conducts India’s first 5G trial.
- India plans to roll out 5G services for consumers by 2020.
- Accoridng to the director of Bharti Airtel Abhay Savargaonkar, the 5G speed could offer data speed up to 100 times faster than current 4G networks.