20th February 2018 Current Affairs in English, Today GK Questions
1. Arunachal and Mizoram celebrates its statehood day
- Mizoram was declared a state back on 20th February 1972 while achieved its full fledged statehood in 1987.
- Arunachal Pradesh was conferred as a state on February, 20, 1987.
- Greeting to the states have been give n by the PM Narendra Modi and Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh for continuous progress.
2. India renews interest in TAPI project
- India has renewed its interest in TAPI (Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India) gas pipeline project which will connect Central Asia with South Asia.
- India will be attending the ground breaking ceremony of the Afghan to be held on 23rd
- During the ceremony all the participating countries will be discussing about contracts for 1,814 km pipeline which will run from the gas fields in Turkmenistan through Afghanistan and Pakistan to the Fazilka town in India.
- The pipeline would be able to carry up to 33 billion cubic meters of gas every year.
- The last groundbreaking ceremony held on Turkmenistan was held in December 2015 attended by former Vice President Hamid Ansari.
3. Nepal to hold first Parliament session on March 5
- According to the Nepal’s President Bidya Devi Bhandari, the bicameral parliament will begin its work in March for the first time since its approval in 2015.
- The first session of the federal Parliament, made up of the House of Representatives (lower house) and National Assembly (upper house) will take place on 5th
- The country had a highly unstable period of transition that began back in 2008.
4. Indian junior paddlers win bronze
- In the event of Czech Open junior and cadet table tennis tournament India settled on bronze.
- The Indian junior team defeated Hungary in the quarter finals but lost to Japan in semifinals.
- It’s the first time when the participating boys are in the top 50 of the world ranking.
5. India to host the World Environment Day
- In the announcement made by the UN Environment Secretary General and head, Erik Solheim, this time India will be hosting the World Environment Day.
- The theme for this year is ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’.
- India has given one of the highest recycling rates(65% which is next to Japan) in the world for the plastic of The Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) a plastic used in bottles.
6. BAFTA 2018: Three Billboards won most awards
- 71st BAFTA (British Academy Film & Television Awards) was held in London.
- The best film was named to Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri which overall in the event won 5 awards.
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri swept trophies for Best Film, Best British Film and the Best Actress to Frances McDormand.
- Other than this the best British Short Film by Cowboy Dave while Best Animated Film was Coco.