Current Affairs 25th April 2018 in English | Today GK News
1. EAM Sushma Swaraj to attend meeting on Trade and Economic Cooperation
- The External Affairs Minister will co-chair the meeting of 6th round of India Mongolia Joint Consultative Committee meeting with her Mongolian counterpart.
- The meeting will discuss trade, economic, cultural and scientific co-operation between both the nations.
- Sushma Swaraj’s this visit is marked as she has become the first Indian External Affairs Minister to visit the nation in 42 years.
2. UNESCO World Press Freedom Prize won by Egyptian jailed photographer
- The UNESCO or also known as Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize this time has been won by Jailed Egyptian photojournalist Mahmoud Abu Zeid.
- The prize was created in 1997.
- The prize honors outstanding contribution for defence or promotion of press freedom anywhere in the world.
3. World’s smallest land fern discovered in Western Ghats
- Indian researchers have discovered the world’s smallest land fern in the Ahwa forests of Western Ghats.
- The fern is fingernail-sized i.e. 1 cm belonging to adder’s-tongue ferns and has resemblance to snake’s tongue.
4. World Bank, India highest recipient of remittances at $69 billion
- According to the World Bank, India has retained top position in the recipient list of remittances by sending approx 69billion back to the home last year.
- In the latest Migration and Development Brief of World Bank, India picked up sharply by 9.9%.
- India was followed by China, Phillipines, Mexico, Nigeria and Egypt.
5. Shahzar Rizvi’s opens India’s account at ISSF World Cup
- Shahzar Rizvi won India’s first medal in the ongoing World Cup organized by the International Shooting Sport Federation being held in South Korea.
- Rizvi won silver medal in the event of 10 meter air pistol event.
- In the 5 day event, 8 more final games will be played by Indian players.