3rd April 2018 Current Affairs GK in English | Daily GK News Analysis
1. Back in date today: Birth Anniversary of Kamaladevi Chattopadhyay, feminist freedom fighter and culture queen
- Kamaladevi Chattopadhyay was the Indian freedom fighter and feminist and a social reformer at the time of India’s struggle to freedom.
- Kamaladevi was born on on April 3, 1903 joined the Indian National Congress in 1927 who pioneered cooperative movement and persuaded Mahatma Gandhi to call women to participate in civil disobedience movement.
- Kamladevi is also known as “culture queen of India” for renaissance of Indian handicrafts, handlooms and theatre in the post-independence era.
- Kamaladevi is the recipient of Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship which is the highest honor awarded by Sangeet Natak Akademi.
She was first in many:
- First Indian Women to be arrested by Bristish.
- First woman to run for Legislative office
- Among the national leaders chosen to sign the Constitution of India document after Independence.
Today's Latest GK Current Affairs Questions Answer [button color="" size="" type="3d" target="" link="https://jobs.chekrs.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2018/04/Today’s-current-affairs-3-april.pdf"]Click Here[/button]
2. Padma awards presented at Rashtrapati Bhavan
- On the occasion of offering awards to civilians total 43 persons were honored in the ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Padma Bhushan which is the third highest civilian honor was given to:
MS Dhoni (Cricket Champion)
Pankaj Advani (Billiards Champion)
Russian Ambassador to India Alexander Kadakin (posthumously),
Indian artist Laxman Pai and
Sharda Sinha (Folk singer)
- The Padma Shri was awarded to 38 people in the ceremony.
3. Debjani Ghosh appointed the new president of Nasscom
- For the IT Company Nasscom, Debjani Ghosh will be taking up the charges succeeding R.Chandrashekhar post to his tenure end.
- Debjani Ghosh was former managing director of Intel South Asia who now will be taking charge soon.
- Debjani Ghosh was the first woman to lead Intel India and MAIT (Manufacturers’ Association for Information Technology).
Check Today's Top Current Affairs GK Quiz Questions[button color="" size="" type="3d" target="_blank" link="https://chekrs.com/onlinetest/quiz/"]Click Here[/button]
4. Malaysia makes law against fake news
- Malaysia’s government has passed the bill which makes “fake news” a punishable offence.
- The law targets foreign as well as local media which proposes six-years of jail term.
- While in India, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting headed by Union Minister Smriti Irani amended the guidelines for accreditation of journalists stating that their accreditation (both television and print) can be cancelled if the news reported by them is found to be “fake”.
- The case of fake news will be referred to Press Council of India (PCI) and News Broadcasters Association (NBA) after which as first violation accreditation shall be suspended for 6 months and in case of second violation it will be one year.
5. US diplomat DiCarlo, first female UN political chief
- Rosemary DiCarlo has been appointed to head UN political affairs making her the first women to look after the position.
- The head UN political affairs is one of the most high-profile positions at the world body where DiCarlo will replace Jeffrey Feltman.
- DiCarlo has been president of the National Committee on American Foreign Policy and deputy assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian affairs.