21st March 2018 Current Affairs In English – Daily GK Questions
1. India joins Europe’s satellite data sharing pool
- For the observation of satellites, India has joined Europe’s Mega Global Arrangement data sharing; Copernicus program.
- The space related information will be used for forecasting disasters, providing emergency response in the situation and rescue people during disasters.
- The Copernicus is Europe’s multi-billion-euro system for monitoring the Earth using satellite data.
- Copernicus, managed by European Commission was previously known as GMES (Global Monitoring for Environment and Security). It has tag line- Europe’s eyes on Earth.
2. Indian Army Releases Paramveer Parwane
- The Indian Army has released a book on Paramveer Chakra Awardees titled ‘Paramveer Parwane’.
- The book illustrates bravery of Paramveer Chakra Awardees from year 1947 to 1965.
- The author of the book is DR Prabhakiran Jain. She is author of 15books and 3 times recipient of Bal Sahitya Samman and Bal & Kishore Sahitya Samman.
Check Today's Top Current Affairs GK QuestionsClick Here
3. Veteran Hindi poet Kedarnath Singh passes away
- Renowned Hindi poet Kedarnath Singh has passed away at the age of 83.
- The veteran was awarded with Sahitya Akademi award in 1989 for his poetry collection Akaal Mein Saras.
- Kedarnath Singh was also a recipient of the Jnanapeeth award in 2013.
4. Canadian mathematician Langlands wins Abel Prize
- The Canadian Mathematician Robert Langlands won the prestigious Abel Prize one of the world’s most prestigious math prizes.
- He has been awarded for developing a program for connecting the representation theory to number theory.
- The Abel prize has been established by the Norwegian government after 19th century Norwegian mathematician Niels Henrik Abel.
5. Kidambi Shrikanth conferred Padma Shri
- The badminton player Kidambi Shrikanth aged 25yrs has been awarded with Padma Shri.
- Kidambi Srikanth is the second sport youngest sportperson to receive the honor. First was P.V. Sindhu to get it at the age of 19.
- Shrikanth is also an Arjuna awardee who was the first male badminton player to win gold at the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold in 2015.