17th March 2018 Current Affairs In English, Today GK Questions
1. PM Modi addresses farmers on Krishi Unnati Mela
- The PM will today addresses farmers in ‘Krishi Unnati Mela’ at Indian Agricultural Research Institute and introduces a portal on organic farming.
- Prime Minister Modi will also lay the foundation stone of 25 Krishi Vigyan Kendras.
- In the event “Krishi Karman” and “Deen Dayal Upadhya Krisi Vigyan Protsahan” awards will be conferred.
- The ‘Krishi Unnati Mela” is aimed at creating awareness about the latest technological developments where theme is doubling farmer’s income by 2022.
2. Xi Jinping re-elected as the Chinese President
- Xi Jinping has been re-appointed as China’s president with no limits on the number of terms he can serve.
- Xi was appointed as president in 2013 and since then there have been no conditions on additional terms he might serve.
- Xi is considered the most powerful Chinese leader since Mao Zedong.
3. President Kovind to visit Odisha
- After being elected as the President, Ram Nath Kovind will be going on a 2 day visit to Odisha for the first time.
- During his visit he will inaugurate the Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan’s centenary celebrations in Puri.
- Kovind will lay the foundation stone of the Skill Development India Centre and inaugurate the Institute of Chemical Technology and Indian Oil Odisha campus in Puri.
4. Maharashtra gets tough on plastics
- The government of Maharashtra on the eve of Gudi Padwa has gone strict on plastic ban imposing violation against guidelines.
- The Environment Minister of Maharashtra, Ram Das Kadam made announcement that only recyclable file will be allowed while specified plastics like Plastic bags, thermocol, disposable cups and plates, cutlery, non-woven polypropylene bags, plastic pouches and packaging have been banned.
- Also the guideline for plastic milk pouches sis to be more than 50microns and cost 50 paise recycling cost shall be refundable to consumers.