20th March 2018 Current Affairs In English – Daily GK Questions
1. Indian Navy to host 16th edition of VARUNA
- The Indian Navy will be holding a bilateral exercise namely VARUNA with the French Navy from 20th March 2018. The sea phase of the exercise will be for 5 days.
- This bilateral exercise is been conducted since 1993 while it was named VARUNA in 2001.
- VARUNA exercise is designed to improve interoperability and learn each other’s best practices, which are conducted in three phases.
- The first phase will be on Arabian Sea while the other two will held in Bay of Bengal.
2. 7th Women Science Congress Inaugurated at Imphal
- In the sidelines of 105th Indian Science Congress, 7th Women Science Congress has been inaugurated in Imphal.
- Event was inaugurated by the Governor of West Bengal, Keshari Nath Tripathi.
- The Women Science Congress firstly started in 2012.
Check Today's Top Current Affairs GK Questions[button color="" size="" type="3d" target="_blank" link="https://chekrs.com/onlinetest/quiz/"]Click Here[/button]
3. Economist Intelligence Unit Survey: Singapore World’s most expensive city
- In the recent survey done by the Economist Intelligence Unit, Singapore is titled at the World’s most expensive city for living.
- The country has maintained the title for fourth consecutive time in comparison to 133 cities around the world.
- Singapore has been 20% than New York. Other top cities marked in the list up to 10 are Paris, Zurich, Honk Kong, Oslo, Geneva, Seoul, Copenhagen, Tel Aviv and Sydney.
4. President Kovind releases Rs 10, 1000 coins in commemoration of Nabakalebara festival
- During the visit to Odisha, President Ram Nath Kovind has released RS 10 and 1000 coins in observance of Nabakalebara Festival in 2015.
- The coins were released during the Centenary celebration of Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan in Puri.
- Nabakalebara festival is the symbolic wooden creation of the deities (Jagannath, Balabhadra, Subhadra and Sudarshana) of Jagannath Temple in Puri.
- The occasion occurs every 8th, 12th, or 19th year of the previous Nabakalebara, last held in July 2015.
5. World Varsity Shooting, India wins 8 medals
- In the World University shooting championship held in Kuala Lumpur, Indian players finished the championship by receiving 8 medals overall.
- India received 3 Gold medals, 2 Silver and 3 Bronze medals.
- Gauri Sheoran emerged the lone individual gold medalist for India.