29th May 2018 Current Affairs GK in English | Read Today’s Current News
1. Railways launches revamped reservation website
- The Indian railways has recently launched revamped reservation website with a new feature which will predict probability of waitlisted tickets getting confirmed.
- The IRCTC portal has become operational now with easier log-in, navigation and booking of tickets.
2. Kamaljit Bawa first Indian to receive Linnean Medal
- Indian botanist Kamaljit S. Bawa has recently received prestigious Linnean Medal in Botany from the Linnean Society of London.
- Bawa is president of Bengaluru-based non-profit Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE).
- Ever since the award first constituted in 1888, Dr. Bawa is the first Indian to win the award.
3. Google honors chemist Sorenson, creator of pH scale
- The Danish chemist SPL Sorensen is the creator of pH scale in 1909.
- The pH is a logarithmic scale used to specify the acidity or alkalinity of any liquid solution.
- The scale ranges from 1 to 14. A measurement of 7 is neutral. Anything lower than 7 is considered acidic; anything higher than 7 is considered alkaline.
4. Pakistan appoints former chief justice Nasir Ul Mulk as interim PM
- Untill the general elections the Pakistan has appointed former chief Justice Nasir Ul Mulk as interim PM.
- The general elections in the country will be organized in the month of July.
- The announcement was made by opposition leader Khursheed Shah.
5. Virat Kohli emerged as International Cricketer of Year at CEAT Cricket Ratings
- The Indian cricket team expert has emerged the International Cricketer of the Year at the CEAT Cricket Ratings awards.
- From the Indian team, opener Shikhar Dhawan was presented the International Batsman of the Year Award.
- Woman cricketer Harmanpreet Kaur won the Outstanding Innings of the Year Award.
- Lifetime Achievement Award was bestowed on former India wicket-keeper Farokh Engineer.