12th May 2018 Current Affairs In English, Today GK News
- 12th May 2018 Current Affairs In English, Today GK News
- 1. 11 May Commemorated as National Technology Day; India on world nuclear map
- 2. India & Peru signs agreement in field of Renewable Energy
- 3. I&B present World Television Awards 2018
- 4. Indian Pavilion inaugurated at Cannes Film Festival
- 5. Asian Cadet Judo Championship, Indian judokas win 3 medals on 1st day
1. 11 May Commemorated as National Technology Day; India on world nuclear map
- 20 years ago India went on its nuclear program in May 1998 by successfully conducting Pokhran-II aka Operation Shakti. It was second after ‘Smiling Buddha’ (assigned code name of India’s first successful nuclear test) of 1974.
- Operation Shakti which consisted of five detonations, first was a fusion bomb and the remaining four were fission bombs had declared India as a nuclear state to the world.
- Besides this, on 11th of May, also first, indigenous aircraft “Hansa-3” was flown and test firing of the Trishul missile was performed.
- Considering the technological achievements on a particular date, 11 May, the day was chosen to be commemorated as National Technology Day.
2. India & Peru signs agreement in field of Renewable Energy
- India and Peru has signed an agreement pact in the field of Renewable Energy at Lima.
- The pact was signed in the presence of Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and the Prime Minister Cesar Villanueva Arevalo.
- This visit of Mr Venkaiah Naidu comes after when India is celebrating the 55th anniversary of establishment of Diplomatic Relations with Peru.
3. I&B present World Television Awards 2018
- The Minister of State for Information & Broadcasting, Rajyavardhan Rathore presented the World Television Awards 2018 in the 15th Asia Media Summit.
- The awards were given in three categories including humanity, science and environment with the theme ‘Telling Our Stories – Asia and More.’
- During the two days long summit media business models and emerging technologies were discussed.
4. Indian Pavilion inaugurated at Cannes Film Festival
- The India Pavilion at the Cannes film festival was inaugurated at the 71st Cannes in France.
- It’s aimed to showcase diversity in Indian films while boosting collaborations and co-productions with various other countries.
- The inauguration was hosted by Sharad Kelkar.
5. Asian Cadet Judo Championship, Indian judokas win 3 medals on 1st day
- Indian judokas won 3 medals on the opening day of 12th Asian Cadet Judo Championships kicked off in Lebanon.
- Rohini S Mohite from Maharashtra won gold medal in the 40kg category.
- Tababi Devi Thanjam of Manipur won gold in 44kg category while Harish from Haryana, won bronze in the 50 kg category.